Wanderer in Shadowlands

All who wander are not lost - JRR Tolkien

Name:
Location: Aurora, Colorado, United States

Monday, August 07, 2006

Carpe Diem

No other road, no other way, no day but today - Rent

In the past month and a half I have been obsessed with watching movies about making the most of everyday. I found myself in danger of going into "auto-pilot." The phenomenon where suddenly you wake up 35 years old married with two children, in a job that was never really what you wanted to do, with a series of casual friends who don't really know the real you, and wonder how you got there, cause you swear yesterday you were playing Madden in your friend's basement... Eager not to wake up with my youth mostly squandered I felt it necessary to take some basic actions. Quickly perusing my Bible I found a handful of verses helping to remind me to make the most of my days. However, even though I truly believe that the Bible is able to be a stand alone source, I have always figured God gave man creativity so that we could find new way in which to touch one another's lives and learn more about him. I am a huge movie fan and therefore went on a quest to find movies that remind me to make the most of my life. Below is the list of movies I have found to date, so that if you ever find yourself in this position you may be able to find help. Also please post if you have any additions.

Click - I normally avoid recommending Adam Sandler movies, but this one helped start the whole thought process, and touched me on a level few movies do. Not your typical Sandler slapstick.

It's a Wonderful Life - A classic I am sure you have all seen. But a good reminder to the impact your life can have on others.

Proof - Fantastic acting and a great line about "wasted days." Credit goes to Raj on finding this one.

Eternal Sunshine on the Spotless Mind - Great movie to help remind you that actions have consequences and the past is to be learned from, not forgotten. And that it is never to late to move forward.

Garden State - A movie to reflect on growing up, and a reminder to never leave what you want and need as a period or an ellipses.

The Legend of Bagger Vance - Find yourself, commit to something, lay your burdens down, move forward. (Don't let the golf background turn you away, it is really a movie about life.)
Rent - Great lines about moving on and making the most of your days, for they are numbered. Plus if you are not reminded of how much people need help and light in their lives after seeing this movie, seek help.

And last but not least....

Dead Poets Society - It is such an obvious choice, but if the carpe diem scenes don't give you chills, you may be dead. Even the tragedy in the student who doesn't really get it helps you to remember to "seize the day."

God speed my friends in the journeys of your lives, I pray that you will find the path God has intended for you and that you may find your "authentic" self. Never shy away from the pain or trials that may come your way. Never settle for any less that what God has intended for you. Know I will always love you all. I pray we will get opportunities to take part of our journey together, and if not I hope we can stay in touch and support one another through prayer. I look forward to seeing you in the clearing at the end of the path, if not sooner.

6 Comments:

Blogger Reel Fanatic said...

There's a great little Irish movie about a town that conspires to win the lottery but ends up getting a lot more .. I wanna say it's called Ned Finnegan's Wake, but my memory is probably failing .. anyways, it definitely fits your criteria

3:41 PM  
Blogger none said...

Why does this sound like a "last post"? I sure hope it's not.
RENT is a fantastic movie so I'm glad it's on your list. I can't think of anything else but if I think of anything I will come back.

-Thinking of you. Hope you are doing well.

6:02 AM  
Blogger jonathan said...

Not a last post. From time to time I like to take a couple moments and thank those I care about. Just let them know I am thinking of them. Many more random posts are sure to come.

7:24 AM  
Blogger none said...

Haley does have a point. I probably should have come to the same conclusion but hopefully other than just watching movies and blogging you have as well.
The question is, "How will I Carpe Diam today?"

1:36 PM  
Blogger jonathan said...

CS Lewis said once that when he became a christian he figured what he did in his day to day life would change drastically. His biggest dissapointment was that the actual things he did, read, go out with friends, go to work, did not change. What did change is how you do these things. Now I don't all my time watchig tv and movies, I do enjoy them greatly. So I think part of learning to seize the day is prioritizing I also thnk you can watch a moive and instead of just shutting off your brain be like. "what did I learn from this movie?" , "Can i apply it to my spiritual walk?", "can i teach others something through this movie?". any way its food for thought either way.

1:42 PM  
Blogger none said...

I started school this last tuesday and yesterday I thought, "I wish I had a friend like Jonathan here."

1:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home